In a remarkable analysis of the impact of olive oil consumption on cardiovascular risk, 61,181 women and 31,797 men were analyzed by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. This was a subsample of the “Nurses’ Health Study” and the “Health Professional’s Follow-up Study”. Their results revealed that the substitution of margarine, butter, mayonnaise, and dairy fat with olive oil reduced the risk of primary cardiovascular disease. Furthermore, olive oil reduced inflammatory biomarkers despite a lower consumption among the US study sample compared to other Mediterranean groups. The authors attribute these observations to the polyphenol and monounsaturated fat content, among other properties, and speculate that a higher consumption of virgin olive oil may have even greater beneficial effects.
- A nationwide assessment of lifestyle medicine counseling: knowledge, attitudes, and confidence of Israeli senior family medicine residents.
- Gaussian Graphical Models Identified Food Intake Networks among Iranian Women with and without Breast Cancer: A Case-Control Study.
- Mediterranean diet and health: A systematic review of epidemiological studies and intervention trials.
- Higher Adherence to the Mediterranean Diet Is Associated With Preserved White Matter Integrity and Altered Structural Connectivity.
- Mediterranean diet and risk of rheumatoid arthritis: findings from the French E3N-EPIC cohort study.
adolescents aging Alzheimer disease basic research Bone health breast cancer cancer Cardiovascular cardiovascular disease children cognitive function COVID-19 cross-sectional study degenerative disease depression Diabetes dietary patterns elder extra virgin olive oil gut microbiome health promotion inflammation lifestyle liver disease mediterranean diet mental health metabolic syndrome mortality neurodegenerative disease nutrition Obesity observational study olive oil Other oxidative stress phenolic compound phenolic compounds physical activity PREDIMED prospective studies quality of life RCT Recipes review systematic review